If you are thinking of buying a used car, but not sure that you can buy one in goodcondition? In this article, we will tell you what to look out for when buying a used car and some useful tips to make a good investment.
The decision of where to buy is also important in numerous aspects such as – the price, the guarantee, better security in the condition of car and much more. Also, do not forget the importance of contracting and quoting car insurance to shield your investment.
In today’s article, we want to give you all the information to know what to look out for when buying a used car.
There are several options for buying a used car, whose benefits or disadvantages are indicated in each case:
- With car agencies: Generally higher prices, but with a written guarantee for a certain time. In many cases, there is also the ease of obtaining credits for the purchase.
- Directly with individuals: Buying car in person has a main disadvantage, which is that of not having a guarantee. However, you have the advantage of finding a car at lower price compared to agency, especially if the sale is made due to some economic emergency. The payment is usually done by cash. This type of purchase can be made in person, through telephone or even online requesting the shipment from another city. But, doing it remotely obviously limits the vehicle’s revision. Tip: You can also find used cars for sale on classified websites and other social networks.
Here are some main aspects that you should consider when buying a used car, so that you make a good buy with your investment.
- Document review of the used vehicle
This review, apparently quick, should be extended to a consultation with the highway department to detect if there are any violation without paying, report of theft and some other debts or problems that you could engage in case of making the purchase. The documents must be in the name of the seller, who must be fully identified to avoid surprises.
- Appearance reviews
The appearance of a car does not affect its functionality. Even so, it is always important that it looks good so that you feel more comfortable with your purchase. Some of the points to review are:
– Body damage or evidence of repairs that indicate that the vehicle may have been involved in an accident. Although it is visibly not very noticeable, there is the feasibility that has affected some other parts of the vehicle that would harm the functionality. One of the best indicators to notice is a change in the tonality of the painting.
– Broken auxiliary lights or other plastic parts whose replacement price may be high.
– Level doors. If the doors do not close well or look down, they can also indicate the occurrence of an accident.
– Rubber condition. Tires are important for the safety of passengers, so tire wear should be checked and if there are deformations, it indicates a serious failure.
– State of windshield, rear glass and other crystals. The revision should be done well cleaned to detect even small marks that tend to grow with vibration.
– Presence of oxide. It is important to check the chassis and the internal parts to detect an important presence of oxidation.
– State of the seats. All the interiors are important, but the comfort of the seats is among the main things to check.
Most of the problems you can detect are not precisely to rule out the purchase of the car, but to reach a lower price considering that you must make the corrections.
- A vehicle in good condition should not have liquid leaks of any kind, which would indicate adefective car.
– Antifreeze or complete engine cooling system. The less serious can be the change of a hose, although it could involve a new radiator. It is also important to check the level of liquid in the container.
– Transmission oil. Any evidence of a leak can be a serious problem.
– Engine oil. The cost of repairing leaks in engine packages can be very expensive and could even damage the engine and require a new one. It is also important to check the level and appearance of the oil to ensure the care that the owner had.
– Brake fluid. Leaks can indicate liabilities in important parts of the braking system or simply require new hoses.
– Oil of shock absorbers. A leak will indicate the need for a change, apart from affecting the suspension system and being able to damage other parts of the car.
- Mechanical and electrical aspects of the used car
Different aspects of the car can indicate the general conditions and how it has been treated:
– Belts. The wearing out of belts gives you an idea of the time it will take for the next change of repairs.
– Strange sounds. With the engine running, you can hear engine operation to various vibrations and noises that indicate the presence of a problem. Do not forget to do a complete test driving it at different speeds, testing the braking and making all the changes so you can detect a fault.
– Speed indicators, lights and general operation. The lights are an important part of the vehicle and should all operate properly, in addition to the internal controls for gasoline level, engine heating and others.
Last but not the least, do not forget to check the horn and the system of each window, both electric and mechanical.